Admission RequirementsSchool of Nursing programs are governed by policies of the College of Graduate Studies. Everything you need to know about applying and being admitted to a Master’s or Doctoral program at UBC is available in Application & Admission
To be eligible for admission, an applicant must:
- Be a Registered Nurse with a baccalaureate degree, normally in nursing.
- Have a minimum overall average of B+ (76%) standing in third and fourth year levels of their baccalaureate with an A- (80%) in 12 credits of nursing courses.
- Demonstrate competence to pursue studies in the English language.*
In addition to meeting minimum admission criteria, applicants will be evaluated in relation to:
- Record of academic and professional achievement.
- Three (3) letters of reference.
- Quality and feasibility of the proposed plan of study as described in the application form.
*Acceptable English language proficiency tests for applicants to the College of Graduate Studies are:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): minimum score of 550 (paper version); 90 overall with a minimum score of 22 in Reading & Listening and a minimum score of 21 in Writing & Speaking (Internet version).
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): minimum overall band score of 6.5 with no component score less than 6.0
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery): minimum overall score of 85, with a final score of 3 in the speaking test.
Graduate programs may set higher English language proficiency scores than those listed above.